Keep cash crowned as king
The following six takeaways are essential for business success:
- Protect your cash position, by knowing what it is. Build a cashflow statement and always keep it up to date. If you foresee a shortfall, start at once to fix it.
- Create a cash buffer as an insurance against unexpected difficulties.
- Protect your cash position against revenue shocks, by maintaining a balance equivalent to at least two months of operating expenses.
- Be realistic with revenue expectations. Take action now if it looks like sales are not going to get you to breakeven.
- Credit checking up front will reduce the risk of customer non-payment. Follow up with clear payment terms agreed in writing. Communicate regularly with customers. And automate where possible.
- Every dollar you spend reduces cash reserves. The best way to protect your cash is to create a budget for the spend you know you need, and stick to it.